Last year, Connor Barwin chose a great time to have his best season, and the Houston Texans don't want the outside linebacker to hit free agency, according to a report from John McClain at the Houston Chronicle. Barwin said after practice Tuesday the team and his agent were discussing a contract extension.
"Conversations have started again," Barwin said. "Hopefully, something gets done by the start of the season, but if it doesn’t – my position, and, I think, their position – is that we’ll be okay."
Barwin led the team with 11 1/2 sacks last season, but SB Nation's Texans blog Battle Red Blog wonders if Barwin is worth a big extension. 2011 has been Barwin's only notable season to date, and the linebacker picked up four of those sacks against Blaine Gabbert and the Jacksonville Jaguars, showing he wasn't a necessarily a consistent threat throughout the campaign.
For the latest on the Houston Texans, be sure to check out Battle Red Blog and SB Nation Houston. Head over to SB Nation's NFL hub for even more NFL news. Be sure to subscribe to our YouTube Channel for video commentary.