Last weekend marked the bi-district round of the Texas state football playoffs. Some notable upsets and drubbings were handed out, but before I talk about some of the notable area matchups, I'd like to point out what's shaping up to be a pretty good story.
West Orange-Stark beat Dayton in its first playoff game of the season. That's not suprising, since WO-S was state-ranked earlier this season. What is kind of shocking is that this team has rebounded to make the playoffs and win big (the Dayton game was 63-7) despite the tragic death of its starting quarterback on the field earlier this season.
Reggie Garrett's death could have derailed that season, and no one would have thought less of that team for not playing up to expectations. But, after dropping a pair of games, WO-S has been very good. It's too soon to speculate on how deep of a playoff run they could make, but they certainly have plenty of motivation.
Here are some notes from other big games in the area:
- One of the few 10-0 teams heading into the Class 4A playoffs, the Brenham Cubs were bounced by Kingwood Park this weekend. That's the same Brenham team that made the state quarterfinals a year ago.
- Hightower beat a good Clear Springs team in overtime, despite going for two after the overtime touchdown and being stopped short.
- Manvel won its first-ever playoff game, beating Terry this weekend.The story doesn't mention it, but the headline on the linking page from the Chron does. Kind of a big deal, no? I'd probably downplay it too...
- La Marque also beat the No. 2 team in Class 4A in El Campo, scoring in the last minute to grab a 28-21 victory. La Marque used to be a powerhouse back in the day, but has fallen a bit in recent years.
- Cinco Ranch bounced back from that rough loss to Katy, beating Lamar 27-23. There are apparently no easy games from here on out in the Class 5A, Division I playoffs. District winner Katy beat up on Bellaire 41-6. Sorry, Rivers.
- Finally, those dirty evil-doers over at Klein Oak knocked out The Woodlands 31-14. I wasn't at the game and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else, but I bet there was some sort of cheating involved. I'm going to look into it and see if I can't get those brave Highlanders back into the playoffs...