- Tight end Owen Daniels was placed on the camp PUP list, meaning he still counts against the team’s roster cap. While he remains optimistic about his return, the growing divide between Daniels’ “I feel really good,” and Gary Kubiak’s “We’ll be smart with him,” concerns me a bit. Or at least it would if I was someone who though the Texans needed Daniels healthy to win games. Reading between the lines on that one makes me think he’s not a terrific bet to be ready for Week One at Indy.
- The Texans will suit up in full pads for Monday’s practice. They’ll also switch from two-a-days to morning full-team practices and afternoon special teams practices.
- Stop me if you’ve heard this one before; John McClain says Xavier Adibi has been marked as the early sub for Brian Cushing. Of course, nothing the coaches are quoted as saying in his column, nor in today’s quotes sheet, indicates he has anything but an opportunity to jump in and outplay Danny Clark for the job. But hey, since when have you needed facts in this business?
- Check out some training camp notes from Chris at Houston Diehards and Alan Burge over at the Examiner, who has gone to every open practice thus far.
- The quote sheet for today reveals some startling facts: Gary Kubiak thinks the Texans defense can be a Top 5 defense over the course of the season, Mario Williams will take an injection for his sore hip, and Kevin Bentley with praise for the “frustrating” Trindon Holliday.
- The Chronicle’s Jordan Godwin wrote his own ode to Steve Slaton’s comeback, while Paul Kuharsky says Holliday is struggling at wide receiver. It should be an interesting battle between Kubiak and special teams coach Joe Marciano for Holliday’s roster spot. You can tell Joe is sticking up for his guys a little more after the rough spots on special teams last year.
- If you guys need another voice in the Texans blogosphere, highly unlikely since you have me, right? Right? Please don’t walk away when I’m talking to you…
Anyway, we’ve got some new bloggers that showed up at camp today and I’d like to send them some traffic, so please go check out the Texans Bull Blog. They have their own notes of today’s festivities as well.
- The Giants signed former Texans safety/special teamer John Busing late Saturday night. No word yet on whether they'll force the rest of the secondary to wear special flame-retardant outfits for his snaps at safety, but it appears they didn't learn their mistake from having CC Brown haunt the secondary last season.