From Dynamo Theory
The Dynamo make their first trip to JELD-WEN Field to take on former Houston assistant coach John Spencer and the expansion Portland Timbers, who remain in playoff contention. The Dynamo won the teams' first meeting on August 14 by a 2-1 score, including a long-range goal from former Timber Adam Moffat. The Timbers' lineup typically includes former Dynamo players Mike Chabala and Lovel Palmer.
- Since a 3-0 loss at Chivas USA on July 23, the Dynamo have been one of the top teams in MLS, posting a 5-2-4 record in their last 11 games to push into playoff position with two games remaining. That stretch includes a 5-1 record against Western Conference teams; Houston is 7-5-4 on the season against its former conference.
- Houston has scored in the final 11 minutes to win or tie a game on 10 separate occasions this season, including six times in the Dynamo's last 10 games.
- Brazilian midfielder Luiz Camargo has started the last four MLS games for the Dynamo, and the team has posted a 2-0-2 record in those contests. The insertion of Camargo has allowed Geoff Cameron to shift to center back and has, for the last three games, pushed Andre Hainault to right back. The Dynamo have allowed just two goals from open play in four games with Camargo in midfield.
- Although Jamaicans Jermaine Taylor and Je-Vaughn Watson face short turnarounds from Tuesday's international friendly against Honduras, two other Dynamo players - Canadian defender Andre Hainault and Honduran forward Carlo Costly - will be more rested for Friday's game. Hainault declined a call-up for Canada's World Cup qualifier on Tuesday and was subsequently omitted from Canada's roster for both of its games. Costly played for Honduras against the United States on Oct. 8 but returned to Houston in time for Monday's training session.
- Houston has scored first in 12 out of 32 games on the season; the Dynamo are 7-1-4 when notching the first goal and 3-8-7 when the opponent scores first; there have been two 0-0 ties. Houston's 10 results when allowing the first goal are the most in MLS; the Dynamo's winning percentage when allowing the first goal (.361) ranks third.
- Forward Cam Weaver, who scored four goals in the first 13 games of the season, had surgery on Oct. 5 to repair a torn labrum in his hip and will miss the rest of the season. Weaver had been playing through the injury
As of Tuesday, October 11
PORTLAND TIMBERS -- OUT: GK Adin Brown (concussion); DF Kevin Goldthwaite (L knee ACL rupture); FW Eddie Johnson (concussion); FW Spencer Thompson (R knee); PROBABLE: DF David Horst (L groin strain); GK Troy Perkins (R hip soreness); FW Jorge Perlaza (lower back soreness)
HOUSTON DYNAMO -- OUT: FW Cam Weaver (R hip).
PROJECTED DYNAMO LINE-UP
Tally Hall; Corey Ashe, Bobby Boswell, Geoff Cameron, Andre Hainault; Adam Moffat, Brad Davis, Colin Clark, Luiz Camargo; Carlo Costly, Brian Ching
Subs: Tyler Deric (GK), Will Bruin, Danny Cruz, Calen Carr, Hunter Freeman, Jermaine Taylor, Je-Vaughn Watson