While the Houston Texans injury report continues to get as long as a third-grader's Christmas list, the thought that has been stirring around the Texans team is the possibility that the ravaged squad could possibly get a first-round by into the 2011 playoffs.
Now, the Texans are not a lock just yet to make the playoffs, but with a two-game advantage over the Tennessee Titans and some winnable games still remaining on the schedule this season could be a crowned jewel that Texans fans won't soon forget.
Yes, the Texans won't get Matt Schaub, Matt Leinart and Mario Williams back. Yes, the Texans might lose Andre Johnson and Brian Cushing again at some point...but yes, this Texans team has never stopped fighting. An impressive feat thus far, with four games left to play in their regular season.
Here are the playoff standings for the AFC heading into week 14:
1. New England Patriots 9-3 AFC East Champ
2. Baltimore Ravens 9-3 AFC North Champ
3. Houston Texans 9-3 AFC South Champ
4. Denver Broncos 7-5 AFC West Champ
5. Pittsburgh Steelers 9-3
6. Cincinnati Bengals 7-5 Wins tie break over Titans, Raiders and Jets based on best conference win pct.
7. Tennessee Titans 7-5 Wins tie break over Raiders and Jets based on best conference win pct.
8. Oakland Raiders 7-5 Wins tie break over Jets based on best conference win pct.
9. New York Jets 7-5
To learn more about the Houston Texans, check out the SB Nation Texans blog Battle Red Blog. To stay up to date on the league, visit SB Nation NFL.